Disney’s D23, held this past weekend, is their own version of Comic-Con with the exception that it focuses solely on projects that the studio is working on including sub-studios like Pixar and now Marvel Studios. With a lack-luster appearance at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con that showed very little in the way of next year’s cumulative superhero mash up, THE AVENGERS, with the exception of some props from the movie, many began to speculate that there would be a much larger showing at the third annual D23 this year. Those speculations were spot-on!
Disney and Marvel Studios unleashed some fantastic footage of the most ambitious superhero movie ever made even though they are still in the process of filming the movie. Unfortunately, BigFanboy was not on hand, however the good people over at Screen Rant have provided a detailed description of the footage shown. Keep in mind, unlike SDCC, Disney had their S.H.I.E.L.D. agents on hand to ensure that absolutely no footage was captured by any sort of electronic recording devices so scour the internet as you may, this footage is not showing up till they are ready for the rest of the world to see it.
Check out Screen Rant’s description of the footage below:
- Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is trapped in a high tech, glass prison room.
- Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) enters, and uses the panel to communicate to him: “In case it’s unclear, if you try to escape – you even scratch the glass – it’s 30,000 feet straight down.”
- Floor opens, revealing that this is taking place on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
- Loki says the room is “an impressive cage,” mocking that it’s not good enough to hold him.
- Fury quips that the “cage” was built for something much stronger than Loki.
- Loki: “…a mindless beast makes play he’s still a man,” referring to the Hulk.
- Fury accuses Loki of bringing the world to the brink of war: ”You threaten my world with war. Steal a force you can’t control. You have made me desperate.”
- Loki points out that Fury nearly had true power, having the Tesseract (the Cosmic Cube from Captain America and in post-credits of Thor), and talks of what SHIELD’s plans are for it, mocking their purpose with using it as a “warm glow for all of mankind.” Loki taunts Fury about being so close to “real power” and says he’ll show him what “real power” is.
- Fury responds in classic Sam L fashion: “Let me know if real power wants a magazine.”
- The Avengers team is in a briefing room, sitting at the table from Captain America post-credits Avengers button with Thor standing in middle of the room – they’re watching Loki on the monitor.
- Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo): “He really grows on you doesn’t he?”
- Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders) is also shown watching the happenings through a monitor of her own.
- Next scene shows Nick Fury explaining S.H.I.E.L.D.’s plan to bring together these heroes to handle the issues too big for the agency.
- Scenes are shown of SHIELD agents around the Helicarrier and we get a few action scenes of our favorite heroes.
- Next scene shows Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) behind a bar, introducing the team: “Let’s do a head count.”
- Stark lists through The Avengers roster and as he names them, scenes are shown for each character (the Quinjet is also shown flying towards a city).
- “We’ve got two deadly assassins” – Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) are shown on a bridge next to some destruction – Hawkeye shown aiming with his bow.
- “A demi god” – Thor is shown with angry face, followed by slow motion action scene of him jumping, swinging is mighty Mjolnir hammer at Captain America’s shield.
- “A legend that actually lives up to the legend” – Captain America (Chris Evans) dodging explosions – Also has a scene standing in front of a closet containing his new modern day costume.
- Stark follows up by saying “and somehow, you managed to piss them all off.”
- Loki is revealed to be the one talking to Stark and he retorts: “I have an army.”
- Stark: “We have a Hulk.”
- The final scene is showing Banner’s leg transforming into Hulk, followed by a close-up of his face while screaming Hulk-style.
- The Avengers logo.
I don’t know about you, but that just sent chills down my spine. Helicarrier? Check. Quinjet? Check. Robert Downey, Jr. delivering what is surely going to be one of the best lines in a superhero movie? Check!
Let us know what you think of the footage description in the comments below? Are you excited about this one or are you afraid that THE AVENGERS will never live up to the hype surrounding it?
Directed by Joss Whedon (SERENITY, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER) and starring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgärd, Samuel L. Jackson and Colby Smulders, Marvel’s THE AVENGERS is the continuation of the epic big-screen adventures started in IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, IRON MAN 2, THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, and it is the superhero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.
THE AVENGERS hits theaters on May 4, 2012.